Nestlé's Coffee-mate Case Study
Brand: Nestlé's Coffee-mate
Agency: Moxie Interactive
- Connect with consumers in the newest and most exciting places they spend time.
- Create brand awareness and loyalty by providing virtual experiences that appeal to the residents of Second Life including contests, auto-paying jobs, freebies, and live in-world events featuring SL's
- Take a relevant and effective first step into the virtual world platform to learn best practices for connecting with consumers there.
- Create the a brand-themed and very welcomingly designed café in Second Life known as SwirL Café and
an adjacent performance venue called "SwirL Annex."
- Provide a live "Mixologist" behind the coffee bar to great visitors and chat with them about the latest
Coffee-mate promotions, Second Life, and life in general.
- Deploy a team of branded "Buzz Agents" to spread the word that Coffee-mate is sponsoring a fantastic
new café and providing lots of freebies, contests, performance events, and phenomenally designed
venues to hang out in while in SL.
- Create a SwirL Lovers group to build the brand's community in-world.
- Create and pay out a variety of strategically placed, custom auto-paying jobs (known as "camping" in SL)
that visitors can do to earn Lindens.
- Run contests to challenge the residents' creativity in a brand-relevant way such as contests for the
best coffee mug, best coffee-colored clothing, and best Coffee-mate recipe.
- Place Coffee-mate coffee break carts around the grid in strategic spots so residents can click them for
freebies and a landmark to SwirL Café.
- SwirL Café was consistently ranked as one of the top 3 brand-related venues in Second Life (based on
Linden Lab traffic stats) for the run of the pilot program (8 weeks)!
- Buzz Agents handed out more than 17,000 Coffee-mate freebie packages to SL residents.
- Approximately 14,000 unique residents visited SwirL Café for 37 minutes average length of visit…thousands
of these returned to the venue numerous times.
- More than 1,500 residents attended live performance events sponsored by Coffee-mate in SwirL Annex.
- More than 1,500 people requested the freebies from the Coffee-mate cart that were placed
throughout the grid.
- More than 700 residents opted to join the SwirL Lovers group which is sponsored by Coffee-mate
enabling Coffee-mate to reach out directly to these brand enthusiasts via instant message in SL.
- Valuable proprietary data was captured that empowers Coffee-mate to compare people’s flavor selections
in the virtual world with their choices in the real world.
- Coffee-mate has succeeded in building an online virtual community around the Coffee-mate brand and
extended their programs in Second Life into 2008!
Sample Media Coverage:
- SLNN.com - Dec 1, 2007
- Numerous publications and blogs
"Working with Joni (This Second) has been an awesome experience. She was passionate,
enthusiastic and put so much energy into developing SwirL cafe; I believe the quality and
uniqueness of the cafe speaks volumes about her work. Furthermore, as someone trying to
explore a new space, Joni provided a ton of feedback and best practices to help us navigate
through Second Life."
Gabe Chua, Nestle USA
"Working with Joni and This Second Marketing was a pleasure.
She and her team are extremely creative and attentive to the brand and its needs.
The client is absolutely a priority, and the brand’s personality and core message are always
top of mind. She is always pushing the envelope and surpassing expectations."
Ariella Schachter, Media Planner, Moxie Interactive