Brand Marketing & ROI
Reality Check on the Virtual World
- We want our brand marketing clients to understand Second Life, the benefits and the challenges, so they can make informed
decisions and move wisely into this new world.
- Second Life represents more than a red hot 3D social environment; it is believed to be the "web platform of the future" by an
impressive group of technology visionaries (Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and more.).
- Launching a virtual presence today is sort of the equivalent of getting a website in the early 1990's... you are probably not
sure why you need it, you just know you do! Your presence will evolve, just like your site certainly has.
- Learn from the early internet boom and understand that the virtual world is about communication and empowerment for people.
Like the rest of the web, it's not a one way street.
Second Life and Brand Marketing
- Most brand marketing executives don't understand the relationship between Linden Lab, Second Life and a Second Life developer.
- The Second Life Brand Marketing Policy includes:
- "Linden Lab does not have marketing programs or do co-promotion with companies at this time. While many
companies want to present their proposal to Linden Lab to get feedback or assistance, we prefer that you
work with our developers who can help you create a project that will be successful in Second Life based on
their substantial experience."
- "Linden Lab does not develop content in Second Life. You don't need Linden Lab's permission to build a
brand presence within Second Life - Second Life is designed to enable you to build your own presence,
whether on your own or working with others."
- Brand Marketers engage third party Second Life Developers to help create their Second Life brand presence.
- Many Second Life developers, while skilled at building things in Second Life, have no brand marketing background to bring to
their clients and projects.
- This Second Marketing LLC is led by experienced, seasoned professionals who have a deep understanding of all types of brand
marketing disciplines and how to best integrate them with the new Second Life metaverse.
Brand Marketers Need to Know
- Most people's computers are not really well equipped to give a smooth Second Life experience which causes
frustration on the part of the new user and part of why the drop out rates after signing up are high.
- Most brand marketers we have spoken with seem to want to be able to understand what Second Life is and see
it for themselves, but they don't seem interested in actually creating a "Second Life" of their own.
- This metaverse concept is so new to everyone, that prospects don't know what they should buy or how they
should buy it.
What Should Brands Do?
- Brand marketers need and want to get educated on the recent history of Second Life in regards to what other
brands have done and examine the successes and failures.
- Seriously contemplate what their objectives are in terms of ROI and what they would consider "success" from a
Second Life experience and/or presence.
- There is a limit of 50 avatars (people) at one time on one sim which is often surprising to the marketers. This is
another reason that ROI needs to be tied to more than crowd size at a branded event or experience in-world.
In-World (in Second Life) Resources
- It's difficult to know what you are getting and who you can trust.
- Having a hyper-responsive top-notch talented team is crucial.
- It is easy to get burned in this area and it is impossible to know what something should cost given that companies
that charged $20,000 for an island project (SL term for Simulation) a year ago, may now charge $300,000-$500,000
for essentially the same project.
- Some of you have personally experienced that some well-established developers have grown arrogant and
are difficult to work with.
- The majority of top players in this field are skilled at making buildings, not creating engaging brand experiences.
Make This Second Marketing LLC Your Second Life Partner Because:
- We understand and work with a brand's entire meaning and value as we develop effective and appropriate brand
marketing programs for them in Second Life.
- We have the top-notch Second Life development skills that a name brand requires, plus,
WE UNDERSTAND BRAND MARKETING.
We believe you will ENJOY working with us because:
- We are enthusiastic about helping you and your brand!
- Everyone on our team is smart as well as talented!
- Every one of us thrives on delivering service and final products that go beyond our clients' expectations!
- We will amaze you with the branded experiences we create for you and your brand in Second Life!
- We make working with us easy, pleasant and even fun!
If you would like to see a PowerPoint presentation that includes photos and details of major brands that have already entered
Second Life, please call Joni for the password to the Virtual Vault on this site and you will be given access to download the